Man arrested, threat level in UK still critical — London terror attack

20 Septembre, 2017, 02:13 | Auteur: Lynn Cook
  • T100721Z_1045377080_RC1A25233B80_RTRMADP_3_BRITAIN-SECURITY.JPG

Anti-terror police in the UK are continuing to question two suspects arrested over the weekend on suspicion of attempting to blow up a London Underground train during rush hour on Friday morning.

The second man was picked up by police at a fast food takeaway, Aladdin's, in East Hounslow, a west London suburb on the way to Heathrow Airport, at around 11:50 pm on Saturday night, police confirmed.

Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said that officers had to partially evacuate the port of Dover after arresting an 18-year-old in the departure area.

The UK terror threat has been raised to the highest level following the attack on a tube train in Parsons Green today.

On Saturday, police also evacuated a house in Sudbury-on-Thames, a town in Surrey, England, as well as the surrounding buildings as a "precautionary measure".

An injured schoolboy is carried from the scene by a firefighter The unidentified victim was led away by a police officer An injured woman is taken away by stretcher after cops confirm the blast is being treated as a terror attack A woman injured in the blast is treated by paramedicsWhat have the Parsons Green victims said about the attack?

Police said a device was placed inside a bag and left by the tube carriage door before exploding towards the rear of the train, filling the carriage with smoke.

According to Sky sources, the home is owned by an elderly foster couple honoured for their work with child refugees. I assessed that there were no serious casualties at that time.

Mr Basu said that the police are "working to support displaced residents". "We will always defeat those who seek to harm us and destroy our way of life", the mayor added.

"London will never be intimidated by terrorism".

A British government official said Friday's attack appears to be an isolated incident.

After checking the station cameras, he saw that the platform was still very busy with people trying frantically to exit and others running on the tracks, the station supervisor put on his hi-vis and went to the platform.

Emma Steveton said a pregnant woman was trapped under a pile of people and a child's face was smashed on the floor.

Police now say they suspect the blast came from an improvised explosive device.

Transit officials announced early Saturday morning that the station had fully reopened and "there's good service operating on the line following yesterday's incident". Speaking from Scotland Yard, Rowley did not say whether or not any arrests have yet been made. "There was just the heat, the fireball, and the noise, but no concussion as such".

"Please remain vigilant. If anybody knows anything at all about who might be responsible for this attack, they should contact the police immediately. Officers continue to trawl through many hours of closed circuit television footage and more than 180 videos and pictures that have been sent to them by the public".

Shortly after the explosion on Friday, ISIS claimed involvement via its Amaq News Agency.

"We have made a significant arrest in our investigation this morning".