North Korea fires three missiles, all fail

28 Août, 2017, 04:29 | Auteur: Sue Barrett
  • Show Caption

It said that the second missile appears to have blown up immediately and that none posed threat to the U.S. territory of Guam, which the North had previously warned it would fire missiles toward.

The Blue House said it appeared they were "rockets fired from a 300-millimeter multiple-launch rocket system", adding they were capable of targeting the Gyeryongdae complex, South Korea's headquarters of the army, navy and military in Gyeryong, South Chungcheong, as well as the U.S. military base in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi.

"Although the launches were no threat to Guam, it reminds us that we cannot be complacent", said George Charfauros, the homeland security adviser on the US territory.

One of three short-range ballistic missiles that North Korea fired early Saturday blew up "almost immediately", while the other two flew about 155 miles into the sea, US officials said. Today's missiles launches, though failed, reignite the possibility of increasing tensions in the peninsula.

The missiles were launched from the eastern province of Kangwon at 6.49 am and travelled roughly 250 km before plunging into the sea, according to South Korea's joint chiefs of staff, Efe reported.

NPR's Elise Hu reports from Seoul that the U.S. maintains the computer-based drills are purely defensive, but the North has long regarded them as preparations for invasion. It's unclear where the three missiles fired Saturday were targeted. "After North Korea threatened Guam, the pacific island of Hawaii began making preparations for a possible attack by the Kim regime".

At the time of the tests, North Korean state media showed leader Kim Jong Un overseeing a special forces operation which simulated strikes on South Korean islands, Ripley said.

This latest North Korean missile test would be the 12th ballistic missile test this year.

It is also believed to be developing a solid-fuel missile that could be used for submarine launches.

On Friday, China's Ministry of Commerce announced a ban on North Korean nationals and companies from doing business in China, enforcing United Nations Security Council resolutions passed earlier this month to condemn Pyongyang's two intercontinental ballistic missile tests in July. Tokyo's Defense Ministry reportedly said the launches may have been of "multiple short-range ballistic missiles or rockets".

Tillerson called North Korea's "restraint" pleasing and said it could open a pathway for dialogue in the near future.

The president made hopeful remarks about Kim last week, telling supporters in Arizona that "I respect the fact that he is starting to respect us" and "maybe - probably not, but maybe - something positive can come about".

Recommande: