Kim Jong-un murder suspects expected to plead not guilty

01 Août, 2017, 22:52 | Auteur: Lynn Cook
  • Pics inside North Korea

When met outside the court room, Indonesian acting Ambassador Andreano Erwin said that she was only human, and she expected this to be a long drawn out process.

Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong and Indonesian Siti Aisyah were charged with murdering Kim Jong Nam at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (klia2) Departure Hall at about 9am on February 13 by rubbing his face with banned VX nerve agent.

Indonesian Siti Aisyah arrives at a court in the suburbs of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in this photo taken by Kyodo on March 1, 2017.

Aisyah, who has a son, has wrote to her family telling them to pray for her "so that the case will be over soon and I can go back home".

Given their recent estimate, officials of American intelligence agencies now recognize that they had underestimated the strong resolve and ability of North Korean leader Kim Jung-Un in coming up with a weapon that could potentially reach and destroy America.

The women's lawyers say their clients are expected to plead not guilty in the Malaysian High Court on Friday.

Prosecutors said 30 to 40 witnesses would be called.

Aishah broke down in the courtroom, with her lawyer Gooi Soon Seng telling reporters outside that she was increasingly anxious as her trial approached and that she had had "no guilty intention" towards Kim.

He also said he had doubts about the experts' report showing that VX, a chemical described by the United Nations as a weapon of mass destruction, was used in the killing. The women's lawyers said they would enter pleas at the start of the trial in October.

Judge Azmi Ariffin told the 30-minute hearing at the High Court in Shah Alam that the trial would begin on October 2 and would take place over 23 days. Lawyers for the two women say they believed they were participants in an innocuous television prank, offered roughly $100 to douse a stranger with what they said they believed was either baby oil or water.

Jong-nam, who travelled with a passport bearing the name of Kim Chol, died while on the way to the Putrajaya Hospital.

"We believe the main suspects are the four North Koreans who have fled the country ..."

North Korea has refused to accept the dead man was leader Kim Jong Un's half brother and has suggested the victim died of a heart attack.

Earlier, prosecutors provided airport camera footage to the defense. Hong had introduced himself as Chang, a Chinese man who produced video prank shows for the Chinese market, the lawyer said.

But, the tensions had finally eased after Malaysia agreed to the return of Kim body to Pyongyang.